Sunday, July 6, 2008

Music, Education, & Politics

When most people think of hip-hop, they generally think of the negative steriotypes that comes with it. The fashion, the materialistic obsession of worldly items, and the inappropriate language that is often used are often the main topics that over-shadow the purpose of what hip-hop was meant to be used for. In the beginning, hip-hop was started by a non-conformist culture to promote awareness of the injustice in the world and educate the youth on what was going on around them. Notice the key word educate, which was the origin of hip-hop in the beginning. Education was the foundation of the hip-hop movement and somehow the ideas and concepts of hip-hop drifted off and started to glorify other objectives that are irrelevent and not so positive. If there was ever a day those same elements and principles needed to be reinforced, the time is now in 2008. Particulary with the election going on and the demographics that the democrats are up against to make change, hip-hop could play a major part in causing that change. Barak Obam is liked and well respected in all communities but when it comes to politics there is still ignorance enbedded in the hip-hop youth or should I say all youth about the importance of making their vote count. So how does education, hip-hop, and politics all intertwine you ask? The youth that represent the hip-hop culture ages 18-30 has the smallest turnout for voter's registration every year. That in itself could really make a difference in the election if all of those voters would register to vote, thus giving them more oppurtunity and hope for better days. Also, promoting hip-hop music like the Barak Obam Song titled "Yes We Can", could possibly make politics cool in a sense and attract more voters. Check out the song on www.myspace.com/planetsouth

6 comments:

Alvinette said...

I remember hip hop in its beginning stages. The main purpose for the music was to educate the community about important issues. I still have my music! I have seen the hip hop culture become a negative symbol. While hip hop has transcended many cultures, I think that Obama will have to be careful if he decides to embrace the entire hip hop community. Due to the negative concepts that the artists have attached to the music, it would definitely make people of every race ponder the question…Is Obama going to stand for all of America? There are already people in the United States and in across the world that are using a monkey to depict his image. Stereotypes are alive and well in America.

While he is truly respected in many communities across America, he is in for the fight of his life. I truly hope that the hip hop community will come out and “Barack the Vote”. For the first time in African American history and American history, we are a witness to something different. Sometimes people get very comfortable in their situation, I hope that the hip hop community will embrace change. If we are to have better opportunities, the hip hop community is going to have to do more than just rap about it. They will have to make their voice heard by voting!

Tracy said...

Wow! very refreshing to hear a hip hop song that is accentuating the positive. Hip Hop for our young black youth has become a very influential teacher whether we want it to or not. Like Alvinette says I hope that we can find a happy medium when integrating the cultural of hip hop to the political agenda that Senator Obama is trying make real. We have to keep him in high esteem and not cheapen, for lack of a better word his message by commercalizing and franchising all he says and stands for. I want to think that our youth and population in general can get serious about his message without having to candy feed it more palatable for the fearful.
Tracy Fields

Ms. Wmz said...

Hi!! I too remember the days when hip hop brought forth a message, some meaning, and a lesson. Just like today's fashion and hair styles have evolved back to those early days, so can our music. I have not checked out your single, but I will. It would be nice to see the evolution of hip hop to what it was. I must admit that I do like some of it and may bounce to it a little bit in the car...especially when my stepson turns it up and dances all crazy and says come on Momma dance with me....but I honestly no longer purchase hip hop because of what it symblizes these days.

Great success!! MaShawn

Rouse in the House said...

Wow! I am very impressed with your Myspace website even though I am not a fan of myspace. I think your talents and skill should be culminated into something that our young men can relate to nowadays. Just imagine, a young man (yourself) with a doctorate degee and a career in the music industry. I think what you are doing is oustanding and I cannot wait to see what you do write in your dissertation. I think your focus on Music, Education, and Politics in huge on on point. I was in a group when I was in my teens called the RDS Express. We were only in high school, but we got booked to perform in neighboring cities. It was fun being on stage and I remember the other children our age in the crowd being turned on to what we are doing. Dondrea, take this opportunity and soar.

Vivian said...

Politics, education, and music. Music is universal and an excellent means of conveying a message be it political or educational. It has been used through out the ages to educate, rally, and inspire. Hopefully hip hop will get back to its roots and serve as a positive instrument in our upcoming election.

Miles of Styles said...

Yo Dre,
I am a big hip hop fan. I go back to the days of crush groove, when music was a lifestyle. I'm not like some of these old school cats who get on vents and talk about how hip hop is dead and is not respected anymore. I truly believe that hip hop is alive and well today and maybe better than ever. To me, hip hop is not one particular thing. It cannot be placed into one category. That's the beauty of it. The thing that upsets me is old schoolers trying to make todays hip hop into the 80's hip hop, it's a new age. What's amazing is that, if you listen to a true free stylist, it is incredible the way they put together words to express a lifestyle. But then they are labeled as uneducated and low levels of thinking. Well I challenge some of the naysayers to put together an impromptu message with rhymes, it's not easy. The only problem I have with some hip hop artists, is their inability to send positive educational messages.